Old BMS General Thread

Threads relating to the BMS system begun by Peter Perkins

Moderators: GregsGarage, retepsnikrep

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Thu May 21, 2009 12:44 pm

boelle wrote:
retepsnikrep wrote:Boelle

You have designed yours for 6v cells have you not?

No the version i do is just a plain copy of yours, just in SMD

So you are not planning to use this on your 6v cells then? Just for lithium when you get them?

The max voltage for the Picaxe chips is 5V

I see the SMD 08M chips are same price as Dil chips.
We can probably get a discount for a purchase of 100+
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

boelle

Re: Fusing

Postby boelle » Thu May 21, 2009 12:50 pm

retepsnikrep wrote:Looking at a big board with 51 wires comming into it direct from the cell terminals for 50cells, the voltage at the board connector and fusing are a bit concerning.

1) Should we have any fusing in these wires?

Would not hurt if there are a short

2) Where should it be? On the board? In the wire near the cell? Polyfuse or a proper holder onboard/inline

a holder, but where would depend on easy access, i would say on board and put the board a place where you can easy get to it

3) These fuse will have to stand the 500ma max drain per wire ao can be quite a low value and the wires reasonably thin.

4) Should we go for a slightly smaller board (A5) with say 25 cells. these could then be stacked as reqd. They may be a bit easier to locate as well than a massive A4 thing? Hmm :?

A5 as they can be stacked, maybe even put them in a box with a sub-d connector? this can easy be removed if the car is sold or the unit has to be repaired etc.

We can probably compensate for voltage drop in the cell/sensing wires with some dvm measuring and an extra line in the software to add 10mv or something when the load resistor is on.

D connectors won't give enough isolation from the pins to the shell for the high voltages ASFAIK

hmm... when the wires are soldered then maybe insulate them with heat shrink tube?

So I'm thinking sil 0.1" pins on the board bottom edge for some sort of ribbon connector.

As there is no reset jumper for the Pic (we have removed both the jumpers) care will be needed during the programming cycle and a removable 50 way connector at least gives us a way of interrupting the supply if we have a reluctant pic which needs reseting. If the dig slave software is set to work at 4mhz anyway this probably won't be an issue. But that limits comms to 2400 baud scan rate of 50 cells/sec. Might be able to improve that with some more work on software.

Actually thinking about this we could just make up a 4.5v supply (3xAA bats) on a two pin jumper connector and then remove the HV connector and work down the sil 0.1" line with our simple supply plugging it onto the first two pins and them moving along a pin at a time, powering each pic in turn during the programming cycle. Much safer as well :D

The current Master software using the 28X1 only supports upto 128 cells, the new 28X2 would increase this to 1024 cells :shock: enough even for the biggest pack!! Should be a simple chip swap and a few constants to change in the Master program to deal with that.

boelle

Postby boelle » Thu May 21, 2009 12:54 pm

retepsnikrep wrote:
boelle wrote:
retepsnikrep wrote:Boelle

You have designed yours for 6v cells have you not?

No the version i do is just a plain copy of yours, just in SMD

So you are not planning to use this on your 6v cells then? Just for lithium when you get them?

Yep, since 6 volt block are made of of single cells i thought there was not much of an idea of doing a 6 volt version

if i do it i will use a resistor network to split the voltage in half and adjust the high and low value in the software... and the voltage divider wil have a jumper so it can be bypassed... but for now i have no plans to do this

The max voltage for the Picaxe chips is 5V

I see the SMD 08M chips are same price as Dil chips.
We can probably get a discount for a purchase of 100+

boelle

Postby boelle » Thu May 21, 2009 12:59 pm

just got the final reply from sunstone and the 123 file from their software should be ok... i will do another triple check in the next hours and also start to pretty up the diagram a bit, should be done tomorrow around the same time

so far i have choosen rj11 connectors for a few reasons:

1. they are yeasy to handle and you can use twisted pair leads
2. they can handle an upgrade to include a temp sensor for each cell if we get that crazy

i dont belive that they will break down before time, it guess it depends on how many inserts you do, the vibration should not be a problem since the connector works as a spring

EDIT: So far about 1/3 done with the final checking and cosmetic work

when done i will try to print the diagram and scan it for optimal look, also i will upload a 3D pic of the board along with the BOM
Last edited by boelle on Thu May 21, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Thu May 21, 2009 2:16 pm

retepsnikrep wrote:Don't forget Greg I will have 50 made up digital slaves spare if we get some big boards made up :wink: They might be available cheap 8)

You can do your one end bolted and flying lead on the other trick for your 100ah cells if reqd. :D

Just let me know what you want for them. I am, leaning toward a 48 cell setup, so that would be perfect. 8)

Greg
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

GregsGarage

Re: Power disipation

Postby GregsGarage » Thu May 21, 2009 8:06 pm

GregsGarage wrote:I haven't found a supplier but have found a data sheet for 2w smd resistors, so they do exist.
http://vishay.ru/docs/60031/m.pdf
Trick maybe finding someone who stocks them. Other option is to solder in a conventional resistor later.

Farnell has them in stock,
http://uk.farnell.com/phycomp-yageo/rc2512jk-7w15r/resistor-2512-15r-2w-5/dp/1376980
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz

boelle

Postby boelle » Thu May 21, 2009 8:19 pm

update: 50% done on the final cosmetic work for the diagram

the nice thing about the sunstone software is that you can put parts on both sides to save space, for the moment it seems like it will fit the space equal to 2 battery terminals

should i do it single side first and then dual side later? the step is just to tell the software to move some bits to the other side.. so takes around ½ hour

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Thu May 21, 2009 8:29 pm

Just depends on how you are going to mount them. Will components mounted underneath interfere with the cell or interconnects between cells?

Greg
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz

boelle

Postby boelle » Fri May 22, 2009 1:52 pm

75% Done

If the part are placed on one side and the connectors and jumpers on the other then the board would be aprox the size of the 4 rj-11 connectors

i dont know if i will upload files later today or tomorrow, but at latest sunday

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Sat May 23, 2009 9:52 am

In line fuse holder for bms cell taps.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrical-P ... use+holder

Cheap and cheerful.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

Return to “BMS thread”