Casram Brushes

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
jezf

Postby jezf » Mon May 19, 2008 1:18 pm

I am based in north london if any of the gurus are nearby. That is very kind of you to offer, thank you.

I have not noticed a reduction in range. I do a round trip of about 15 miles a day which uses around 30%. The batteries charge to 100% every time, but I am careful and only charge when they get to about 5% or lower.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon May 19, 2008 1:51 pm

jezf wrote:chris, thanks for your detailed reply!!

Basically it went in because i noticed a small oily leak from the underside of the van. I was a bit concerned, and it was coming up the annual service anyway, so I booked it in. They said during the heat we have had recently, the batts can 'sweat' a little bit, and they have been checked and nothing to worry about. Having said that, it was an oily substance to the touch, not water...

I asked them to specifically check the leak, and they said its fine. They said the gearbox is a bit noisy, and could do with an oil change.

I sincerely hope they were referring to the water top up, not acid!!

The brushes are a bit low, so they recommend a change to them too.

In total a bit pricey, what would you recommend? Is it advisable for me to change oil myself and change brushes myself? I am quite handy but don't have much knowledge of cars etc. I am sure with yours and your peers' knowledge and support I can do this!!

Thanks

I'd be interested to know where the "oil" is coming from, the gearbox holds so little oil ANY oil leak is cause for concern. If there is a seal thats failed then changing the oil wont cure this.
The gearbox may be noisey because it has run out of oil :shock:
Oil checking and changing can be done, theres a thread on it in this section with pictures.
Again for brush changing there is a thread on this with pictures.

Take a look at both threads and see if its something you think you could do.

One thing to remeber though if you just go for the battery maint charge and do the rest yourself you MUST inspect that gearbox oil ASAP and also check the brushes, both of these items if left un-checked can do considerable damage, so dont leave it when you get the van back saying I'll get round to that soon or you could end up with a very expensive bill or worse a dead van :cry:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

jezf

Postby jezf » Mon May 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Is there a dipstick or visual way of checking gearbox oil level?

Anyone in London?

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon May 19, 2008 3:11 pm

jezf wrote:I am based in north london if any of the gurus are nearby. That is very kind of you to offer, thank you.

I have not noticed a reduction in range. I do a round trip of about 15 miles a day which uses around 30%. The batteries charge to 100% every time, but I am careful and only charge when they get to about 5% or lower.

Theres no real requirement to wait until your @ 5% to charge the batteries they dont suffer the same memory effect dry Nicads suffer, I tend to charge mine as and when to be honest, although I generally do drop them below 30% once in a while.
One thing to remember is the batteries are suppose to do something like 1500 cycles thats full cycles i.e taking out 80% of their capacity. So each time you do this you can assume thats one cycle used up.
By only discharging them to say 50% or less this puts a lot less stress on the batteries and there is a good chance you will get considerabley more cycles out of them than the 1500 stated by the manufacturer.

ChrisB

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon May 19, 2008 3:13 pm

jezf wrote:Is there a dipstick or visual way of checking gearbox oil level?

No dipstick just a level plug , full details are here http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk ... c.php?t=92

ChrisB

jezf

Postby jezf » Tue May 20, 2008 9:18 am

Have authorised citroen to do the works. You are right in saying that it is better to have them done now, rather than put it off to a diy day which never seem to come around!
Happily the technician said my van is one of the best examples he has worked on for years.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue May 20, 2008 5:31 pm

jezf wrote:Have authorised citroen to do the works. You are right in saying that it is better to have them done now, rather than put it off to a diy day which never seem to come around!
Happily the technician said my van is one of the best examples he has worked on for years.

He hasnt seen mine or Green Machines Van then :wink:

Hope it goes well and that they know what they are doing :? really didnt like the sound of the "acid" bit :? Lets hope it was distilled water they where on about.

ChrisB

Teslas fag packet

Postby Teslas fag packet » Fri May 23, 2008 1:02 pm

A friend of a friend who rewinds motors on an indestral scail (As in the berlingo motor is the same as one of those you find in an electric toothbush to him) Has recomended these there in Pudsy (Nr leeds so they must be good)

http://www.anglocarbon.com/acatalog/form1.htm
Yorkshire isn't just a place, it's a state of mind!

http://www.minievolution.com/

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Fri May 23, 2008 1:10 pm

Schunk UK are also there in Pudsey - it makes you wonder if there is a large company actually doing the "making" and these others are just a sales front for the maker?.

John

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:10 pm

I have now got new stock of Brushes, precurved to the armature. If anyone wants a set please PM me.

£69.90 including P&P - or you might try ebay - 160245607240 if they are still there when you read this.

John

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”