FINISHED!

Have you made or bought a converted vehicle if so this is for you
geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:05 pm

Thanks night train and welcome to the forum, still feel like a new comer myself!

Hit 62 mph tonight :D that is the max at the settings I have now.

Range is over 25 miles

Controller got up to 59 degrees C, so it needs more cooling, not a problem.

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi Christopher,

I know you said you couldn't come all the way - but d'you fancy coming half way on the L2B? Or perhaps even the first 10 miles? ;)

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:22 pm

Nikki

I would love to...let me see if I can get some charge at Clapham...

But my car isn't sign written yet and I do not have any BVS stickers :wink: No one takes any notice, it looks just like a normal car.

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:00 pm

Well wear a silly hat then! :wink:

What you could do is wear a white crash helmet and a white jacket I bet that would get attention !

favguy

Postby favguy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:23 pm

Just spotted this thread, looks a really nice conversion Chris, well done.

I can't beleive the hassle you had with the DVLA, I managed to speak to a "sensible" type there the other day, apparantly the best way to go is to MOT and insure the car, then go and get the usual petrol car tax that would be due for the car pre conversion and pay for it, only then write to the DVLA and tell them about the change of drive system along with a conversion certificate of some kind, and they will send a refund cheque for the tax paid along with a new disk. This avoids the need for an inspection apparantly.

Best wishes

Paul

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:48 pm

Thanks Paul

Yeah, your method sounds like the way forward. Better still if you can do the conversion whilst the original MOT is still valid.

Next conversion I will do this...looking at a 106, Polo or possibly a Hyundai Accent; something quite modern, roomy and smart. Air bag would be quite good idea too! Decisions, decisions, decisions....

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:42 am

Hi Christopher,

Don't worry about the sign-writing! It'll be good to have some extra vehicles at Clapham for the send-off.

Please come along to the start! :)

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

AndyW

Postby AndyW » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:00 pm

DVLA also don't know much about kit cars either. You just need to be stern with them!!

Nice conversion by the way. How many batteries do you use?

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:02 pm

Just a quick update on my experiences with my EV conversion.

The car has travelled 550 miles as an EV now, with no problems :D

It still looks the same as the ICE version, and only one peron has stopped me to ask why it makes no noise.

Its now got a fuel gauge. Its just a Curtis type, measuring the power remaining in just 2 of the batteries (24v) and it seems to be as accurate as is needed. I haven't been below 30% DOD and hardly ever go down to 40%, which is about 15 miles.

On Sunday I hit 72mph on the A1 going downhill and with a very strong wind behind me! It'll do 60 - 65mph on the flat though.

The best estimate so far is that it uses 400W/mile, which isn't brilliant, but its probably my motor (and me) being inefficient.

Its been used in all conditions from 30 deg C heat through to the pouring rain with puddles 4" deep in the middle of the night (very slowly and gently, mind) and its just got on with the job.

The little car is a joy to drive and its absolutely no poblem without a clutch (it took a bit of crunching to eventually get the timing/revs perfected). With the urrent set to just 300amps it has absolutely no concerns keeping up with traffic, up to 35 - 40mph.

Its been used every day or the last 7 weeks, an averge of 11 miles per day.

In this time I have used my Berlingo just once... to take stuff to the dump.

It would appear EV's with just a 25 mile range are a perfectly acceptable means of transport :D

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:45 pm

You must be well chuffed with it :) Great to hear everything is going so well I must say it sounds pretty impressive Well done!

Return to “Conversions”