Accommodation for events.

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.

Would you attend a BVS event away from home if:

Someone helped arrange a B&B nearby at a reasonable price
33%
Someone helped arrange camping at a nearby campsite.
No votes
Someone in the BVS put you up
33%
Someone could help you get your EV there (on a trailer) and help find accomodation
33%

Total votes: 3

aminorjourney

Accommodation for events.

Postby aminorjourney » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:46 am

Here's a poll for you all as well as a discussion point or two.

This year the BVS events are going to be great, I'm sure of it, but last year we were plagued by people not being able to attend due to lack of transportation and/or places to kip.

The Electrathon and L2B are big events and it would be nice to see more people at them. Obviously accommodation and the logistics of getting an EV there are the big issues. With the Electrathon it's not quite so bad as many people bring non road legal vehicles there anyway!

Let us assume that most events take one day and take place over a weekend.

So here's the question. Discuss!:
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:29 am

I've been involved in all sorts of clubs and events and sadly there will allways be people who claim things are too far away for them.

An example for you is my Hang Gliding and Paragliding adventures. I've literally travelled all over the world to go and fly. The nature of flying is to take you on a journey. Mine would generally start at least 50 miles from the sites I would most often fly as I lived for a long time in Surrey yet I'd fly mostly in Sussex. Gliding is very much at the mercy of the wind and consequently you'd spend hours and indeed days chasing the wind to find the right hill to fly from. That's just how the sport is. BUT time and time again I'd find that a lot of my regular flying buddies felt a journey of much more than 10 or 15 miles to a hill was too far to travel and yet they would fly cros country flights sometimes in excess of 100 miles.

It doesn't matter what you do to try and make things easier for people to get to an event there will ALLWAYS be someone who thinks it's too far to go.

For me it's how far my wallet will stretch to. I've actually once driven to Scotland and back in a day from Surrey. I'd regularly fly on business across Europe for a meeting of a few hours and then fly back the same day. I'm a bit different to many people and very much a minority but you'll also find people who think a 5 mile journey is too far. :shock:

I think a better poll would be

How far are you prepared to travel to an event?

5-10 miles
10-20 miles
20-50 miles
50-100 miles
over 100 miles

My bet will be that sadly most folk are on the 5-10 mile option, and they generally won't be bothered to cast a vote anyway. There's only a handful of people who will go to much effort to do things and try to help others. Thankfully there's a good crew of members in the BVS who have lots of enthusiasm for EVs and will go a long way to try and further the EV cause though naturally they may have differing opinions. Their efforts though should always be given credit for the courage of their convictions. There's a small group of BVS members who will travel long distances to support our events one way or another it would be WONDERFUL to see more taking part but sadly there will always be people who just don't have the same enthusiasm and dedication, or spare cash.

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:32 am

Alrighty,

Why don't we do another poll with that then? :)

N
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

Return to “Events”