Electric Morris Minor...

General BVS related area
jackkelleher

Electric Morris Minor...

Postby jackkelleher » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:44 pm

Hello, my name's Jack and I'm a classic car enthusiast. I live in America (though British) amd I'm 15, but I own two Morris Minors (which I drive on private land), a '59 and a '62 two-door. I never drive more than thiry miles in a single stretch in either car, though, and it occured to me that my car would be a perfect consideration for an EV! It's pretty light, very easy to work on and ready for restoration anyway. Does anyone on here have an electric Minor and even if not can anyone help with the project? I would be running it based on a primary source at home, probably- for the sake of the challenge- a charger that would itself be charged from solar and wind energy, or mains if I got too bored. The car would potentially (here is where I would appreciate some advice) be fitted with regenerative braking, a fold out solar rack in the boot and a fan inside the radiator grill for secondary charging or "top-up", plus an emergency biodiesel generator if I were travelling a distance and could find no plug-in. How practical is this idea? Which would be the best batteries if I wanted a reasonable top speed (the Minor gets 65, and I would want to match if not top it) and a range of about 30-50 miles at least (better if I could get it, but I'm guessing that's probably the upwards limit without some special computer regulation like the Tesla sports car)? Is there a type of motor particularly suited to this kind of situation? Feel free to ask questions that will clarify my requirements- I am serious about this and would love to have some help.

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:23 am

Hi Jack!

Yes! I am working on an Electric Morris Minor!

Wow! Someone else mad enough to want the same thing. This is brilliant. You could PM me if you like and we'll chat off list.

I have a '65 minor which I have stripped down. I think the minor is a great project as you can upgrade the rear springs really easily; The traveller springs and LCV springs should just be a very simple replacement for the standard minor ones.

In terms of batteries you could go either for lead acid or lithium Ion. Employment permitting (I'm hopefully about to change careers which will give me more money to play with the conversion) I'm going for lithium Ion. I use these on my 1998 City El and it's fantastic compared to what it was like on lead acid.

Do you know when you want to start work? The EV discussion list (go to http://www.evalbum.com for more information) would be a great start for you if you're stateside.

Wow. Here I am, sitting in the Toyota garage while we have the gas guzzling prius serviced and I'm absolutely exstatic someone else wants to do a similar thing!

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

pyoorkate

Postby pyoorkate » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:25 am

*waves*

Hello Jack, so you made it over here then :)

I'm notionally here for my mum's Enfield EV (currently waiting a reply to our letter for the insurance); although I have faint urges to do the Viva - mostly because I realised that I spend a grand a year on petrol just commuting to/from work. But I don't think I can really justify it.

Sadly.

Anyhow, nice to see you :)
Kate E

1969 Morris Minor - awaiting LHD conversion
1995 MZ ETZ 251 in bits
1996 Kanuni ETZ 251
1972 (built '71) Vauxhall Viva

jackkelleher

Postby jackkelleher » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:20 pm

And you! It's nice to have people you already know when you arrive in a new place...
A Viva might make an interesting project... My only justification is that I drive this car- or on main roads my parents drive it- for pleasure, and it's an awful way to enjoy oneself, letting all those emmissions destroy everything, so I want to make my journeys a little cleaner!
I'm absolutely exstatic someone else wants to do a similar thing!

The feeling is mutual! I agree, the Minor seems to me a great starting point for an EV, or any project in fact.
I'm going for lithium Ion.

Yes, I thought LiIon or LiPo. Preferably LiPo, but I think the cost goes up rather then, so more likely LiIon, but even they're not the most reasonably priced things on earth...
I can't start work yet, as the Minor hasn't arrived in this country. I got it two years ago, then gave it to a friend when we moved out here last year, as I thought it would be too much cost for what I actually got! I would be paying more than the worth of the car to ship it. While in the UK recently, though, I saw him and found out he wants to scrap the car :evil: ! Well, I really love this old thing, so I've taken it from him again and we're arranging shipping now. So definitely not for a couple of months yet, but once I recieve it I'm going to strip it down immediately (if slowly- I have to work around long school hours and saturday school) and weld it up, it's a bit of a rust heap. Once that's done I'll start trying to install stuff!
The EV discussion list looks great- thanks. I'll spend some time there.

alansw

Re: Electric Morris Minor...

Postby alansw » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:35 pm

i am not sure if anyone is intrested in 1968 a project was scarped a morris traveller was converted to a run off electric motors powered from a solar panel on its roof.It was used every day for 2 years travelling from maghull (liverpool) to salford . I am at the moment in contract with a engineer from the project i am hopping to get to see photos and details from my friend,he told me then it had a range of appox 200 miles. I post more info as soon as i learn more.

skooler

Re: Electric Morris Minor...

Postby skooler » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:29 pm

alansw wrote:i am not sure if anyone is intrested in 1968 a project was scarped a morris traveller was converted to a run off electric motors powered from a solar panel on its roof.It was used every day for 2 years travelling from maghull (liverpool) to salford . I am at the moment in contract with a engineer from the project i am hopping to get to see photos and details from my friend,he told me then it had a range of appox 200 miles. I post more info as soon as i learn more.

What do you mean by interested?
Posts by Mike Schooling
Director and tech lead at indra.co.uk

Mazda RX8, Soliton Jr, 24KWH Sinopoly LiFePO4, Kostov 11alpha
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... 61556.html

Return to “General”