Zivan charger

Dedicated to the conversion sold by the now defunct Electric Car Company

Moderator: mattcarr

Grumpy-b

Zivan charger

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:59 pm

I recently contacted Zivan about the lack of power going into my Cells and the low voltage being achieved.
The NG3 as supplied to ECCPLC has two extra flying leads the blue and brown have to be shorted out for the charger to run (Attached to the BMS) and the black and green also from BMS control the voltage that the Zivan supplies. This is a mod. There is a small board or poted box attached to the board that adjusts the voltage, and this has an Opto Resistive isolator in it. Basically and opto resistor coupled to an LED. This arrangement replaces a 3/8" multiturn trim pot (2k) . Interestingly Zivan thought this was not a good mod and their Controller was better at setting the correct voltage that the BMS ever was. Given that my smart with the BMS has poor range and very low charge voltage. I will be converting this back to the std charger operation.

Zivan were very helpful. I detected a touch of not being too happy with the ECCPLC outcome.

Grumpy-b

mattcarr

Re: Zivan charger

Postby mattcarr » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:06 am

Interesting to know. I knew there were 2 pairs of leads from the charger to the BMS. I have to say I am not too impressed with the efficiency of the charger. I measure it at 2.5kw at the wall and only read 18 amps in to the pack at 83 volts. So a loss of 1kw making it only 60% efficient. Not so good.

Be interesting to know how you get on reverting the charger back.

Grumpy-b

Re: Zivan charger

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:50 am

I wouldnt put all the blame on the charger. The way it functions is so controlled by the BMS that it really isnt able to give its best.

It works fine when connected, but with the pack so widely unbalanced some cells rose rapidly above 4.2v that I discontinued the trial. The pack will need a major ballance, which unfortunately for me means a removal of the battery pack beneath the floor and removal of most of the rar body panels to get at the rest. The cells in the EVIE are so much easier to get at . WIth the cells balanced hopefully some of the problems of poor overall power will be resolved.

I have now modified the Zivan board with a plug into which the external control or the potentiometer can be connected.

Grumpy-b

Return to “ECCPLC C1 ev'ie”