Winter Tweaks to Heating System re Battery Temp

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Joe T

Winter Tweaks to Heating System re Battery Temp

Postby Joe T » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:34 am

As I do the same mileage and route every day it does allow me to notice slight differences in performance.
Just recently with the tempereature drop I have noticed the range decrease slightly. I now run the heater on regardless of needing it in the cab that has improved things back to where I was before the temp drop. But its going to get colder :cry:

The most obvious mod is to block a section of the rad off or front grill to some extent. (Anyone got any pics of this) this wont raise the temp only reduce the cooling effect, there does not seem to much under bonnet generating heat.

I noticed the heater pipes run very close to the cooling pipes for the batteries in a number of areas. Using exhaust wrap to insulate them together it would be possible to transfer more heat across to the battery circulation pipes.

Lastly the most adventurous, a reducing t piece could be put in the heater outlet, then a length of small bore plastic tube could be wrapped round various battery circulation pipes then return to the main header tank at the bulkhead as it has a spare input at the top.

Trying to plumb the heater in direct to the battery circuit I think would be no good as it would just get too hot.

Anyone else looked at this?

Cheers

Joe T

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:43 pm

I'm sure Chris can tell you about blocking off part of the radiator. I'm pretty sure he does it on his.

The small bore pipe thing is an idea however bear in mind this will make it more susceptible to freezing too on those really cold winter nights so be sure that you have good antifreeze in if you so this.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:21 pm

We block off the rad (the battery part) on both ours and it does make a difference.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:51 pm

Wouldnt mess with the vehicle heating, that gets way too hot :shock:

Best is to block the rad up a bit and also try to use the van just off charge when the batteries are still nice and warm, I try to adjust my re-charge off time so it coincides with you wanting to drive the van :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Joe T

Postby Joe T » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:33 pm

Well I have slid a bit of plastic down between the fan and the rad, basically between the securing screws on the rad, done a couple of runs. Time will tell.

Are there any decent pictures or cutaway drawings of the cooling system, would like to see the actual circuit, also why it was split on the rad etc.

Cheers

Joe

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:11 pm

I'll sort you out Joe with some :wink:

ChrisB

jezf

Postby jezf » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:00 am

I wonder if someone could please post a pic of exactly where the cardboard is placed?

Joe T

Postby Joe T » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:06 pm

I just slid a piece of thin plastic between the fan and the rad, straight down between the fixing lugs. I know it does not block off all of it but does about 2 3rds.

Got to be honest so far its not made much difference but then not had that many freezing mornings when I think it will tell the most only done about 300 miles since putting it in.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:29 pm

I've not found any real range issues until the temp drops below 10C.

Anything below 5C really starts to kill the range :cry: worst I got one day I think was 34miles before it asked for a recharge :shock: but that was using it after it being off charge for 24hrs and the temp being about 3C.

No cardboard is fitted in my Rad for the record.

ChrisB

EVan

Postby EVan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:49 pm

I always put a piece of coroplast down behind the radiator in the winter, just on the battery side.

When it's seriously cold (which has only happened once since I got it), I pulled the pump fuse out to let the pack heat up above freezing, and put it back when it was up to about 10 degrees.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”