Charging problem - pump more noisy + red light flicks on

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
mshep

Re: Charging problem - pump more noisy + red light flicks on

Postby mshep » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:32 pm

ChrisB wrote:Ah the old seized fan issue, have seen/heard this before.

This can happen from memory due to failure of the dropping resistor in front/at the side or the rad, cant remember off hand, this stops the fan from running and can then mean the fan just seizes up :(

You might find if you strip the fan out and check that its free to turn on it bearings give it some lube and away you go. Check that resistor out too (for some bizzare reason I always thought this resistor was a temp sensor but it isnt )

Personally I'd try and get the fan up and running again ASAP as it keeps everything cool even during driving ( batteries and controller), certainly I would NOT do a maint charge without it working.

ChrisB

Sorry Chris but the culprit unlikely to be resistor - it was ashort black post in an unlit car park !

mshep

Postby mshep » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:51 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:Damage to the fan housing is a problem as it is specific to the electrique. So if the housing can be salvaged all is not lost. They use a 200watt fan unit and a lot of
PSA vehicles use fans of the same diameter, however most are 400w power and are a bit deeper so the fan protrudes out the`front. Lesser engine size vehicles do use 200 or a bit larger fans so they could be used.I have a pair of 306 fans that can be made to fit, but are a bit deeper.
When they get hit in the front they push the armature into the endcase and physically distort the casing, it then wont turn. It may be possible to sort this but it wont be easy.
The whole unit is a s*d to get out an is easier with the lower battery out, the bumper off, or the controller out (the latter wont work on its own).
PSA only sell this as a complete unit part number 1233 80.

Grumpy-b

Thanks for all this help, I have entered the part no you gave and my details on a website - findapart.com which hopefully will come up with an offer.

You suggest that it should be possible to change the fan after taking the bumper off. For a local garage this would seem to be the best route. the people at my regular one are quite good at improvising.....the thought of loads of araldite on the cracked casing comes to mind !

The posting from Chris B suggests that I am definitely not doing the Van much good by using and charging it without the fan........do you think I had better take it off the road until the fan is replaced, or maybe just stick to short runs with a recharge after each one ?

I will also check the part number with my local Citroen dealers on Monday and post up what the outcome is..........michaels (mshep)

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:02 am

Ah I see, its due to opperator error then :wink:

mshep wrote:The posting from Chris B suggests that I am definitely not doing the Van much good by using and charging it without the fan........do you think I had better take it off the road until the fan is replaced, or maybe just stick to short runs with a recharge after each one ?

Currently weather temps means the fan is unlikely to cut in during normal driving unless you are ragging it about using lots of current, more concerning could be charging, while the ambiant temp and normal charges should mean the fan wont cut in I suspect an equalisation charge might bring it on and without it you could start to get things a tadge warm !!!

Do you want to risk damaging something thats as rare and hard to get as a working berlingo.......thats what you have to think :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

EVan

Postby EVan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:11 pm

You won't damage it by driving with a broken radiator fan. The worst that can happen is that the charger stops early due to it (not the batteries) reaching the thermal limit.

And even then you can get away with this during winter months by leaving the bonnet open when it's charging, as heat convects off the aluminium box quite nicely.

sticks

Postby sticks » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:33 pm

hi guys,im not hijacking your thread but could this be the same prob as ive got,

please see thread ''do belingo batts lose charge if left sat''

cheers

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”