Berlingo front suspension

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Grumpy-b

Berlingo front suspension

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:44 am

At last I have got round to replacing the P bushes on my w reg van. I had a new set of the genuine Alluminium block heavy duty bushes rather than the simpler Steel ones.
What a surprise, this Van has allow bottom arms. Fit the same and take the same bushes, but a lot changed in shape of the forging from the steel variation. The profile out to the wheel / lower pivot is wider front to back. I guess this was a weight saving option, but I have not seen this on any of my other Blingos all of which are about the same age.

Grumpy-b

timpootle

Re: Berlingo front suspension

Postby timpootle » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:29 am

I changed the P bushes on the S-reg project car (that you sold me) while the motor was out. I bought one set (steel) off the internet, which proved to have the wrong shaft diameter. I bought a second set from my local motor factors (cast) but they were wrong too.

Eventually I borrowed a reamer from work and reamed out the bush in the steel set to suit the wishbone.
Tim Crumpton

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:56 pm

The bushes are very seriously undersize by design with the shaft being 19mm and the bushes just over 18.5mm . As an interference fit they expand as they are driven on and hold position on the shaft while not being pushed up against a shoulder. They just need to be struck soundly to get them on. This is a common practice with this type of bush.

Some of the pressed steel arms with the replaceable ball joint have a larger pin size for the P bush.

The new ones make a major improvement to the handling.

Grumpy-b

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:09 am

So I shouldn't have reamed them out. Oops!

That's a big interference. I didn't think I'd ever get them on. Oh well; we shall see how long they last.
Tim Crumpton

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:51 am

ITs quite a shock to see them and ever believe they will go on, its more of a stretch fit than an interference fit. We also did my sons 306 at the weekend and they are the same with the same clearances. So dont worry next time, just whack them!!! (But not too far as they are a pain if you driven them on too far)

Grumpy-b

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”