Curtis dc controller

Have you made or bought a converted vehicle if so this is for you
TTmartin

Curtis dc controller

Postby TTmartin » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Does anyone out there use or have used a Curtis 144 v dc controller?
They seem to make high pitched noise at low motor rpm, some people like the sound :roll: others dont :? Can it be adjusted out or subdued a little?
The controller seems to have a good name and also a good price direct from Curtis UK compared to all the other controllers that you have to ship from the USA or Europe.
Trying to decide on controller for my project, which although a sports car I'm not looking for sports car performance just normal around town driving with range the priority which means Lithiums are now high on my list.
Thoughts, advice anyone :?:

Peter Eggleston

Re: Curtis dc controller

Postby Peter Eggleston » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:20 pm

I have a Curtis 120 volt DC controller mounted inside the cab and it does not make any noise. I have found it to be excellent with no problems in 10 years of use.
Peter

TTmartin

Postby TTmartin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Thank you for response Peter, the lack of noise on your controller gives me hope.
Did you adjust it to be silent? Or that's just how it is, I've listened to them on YouTube, they seem to whine at low motor speed also spoke to a guy at Curtis UK who informed me they will make a noise as you pull away due to frequency change? The controller in question is curtis 1231c86 which I think is the largest voltage (144v) dc controller Curtis supply. What sort of motor is your controller used on? What model is is your controller?
Armed with that information I could talk to Curtis again.

Regards

Martin

TTmartin

Postby TTmartin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Just to be clear I think it's the motor that makes the actual noise but caused by the way the curtis controller works, apparently different to most other controllers?
That's what I was told?

Peter Eggleston

Postby Peter Eggleston » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:53 pm

Mine is a 1221B running a 9" Netgain Warp motor. The noise from the motor is quite pleasant suggesting quite a lot of power and sounding a bit like a tube train or if you really put your foot down then a bit like a jet plane taking off. There is no whine. I did not have to adjust the sound made, only the rate of acceleration. I have always been happy with its performance and I like the sound in the same way as you like the sound of a good sports car engine or a V8. Once at a cruising speed there is virtually no noise or just a gentle hum.
Peter

Return to “Conversions”