Vehicle Licensing an EV Conversion

Have you made or bought a converted vehicle if so this is for you
Charles C

Vehicle Licensing an EV Conversion

Postby Charles C » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:10 am

Hi all,

I'm wondering about taxing my converted vehicle. At what stage does a vehicle become EV "converted" in the eyes of the taxing authority and how does it get checked out by them ?

I will soon have the electric motor and transmission in place - do you think this is enough to change the registration ?

Anyone got any experiences ?
Cheers,
Charlie C

qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:05 am

Each change you make to a cr you are supposed to notify the DVLA

I find if you do it on a one by one basis it's much easier and becomes just a paper record that way. For example if you respray a car a different colour you are supposed to notify the DVLA

Likewise if you change the engine for a recon one you do the same. Switching the fuel from petrol to electric may result in a query and a request to inspect the vehicle. But it's easier this way than doing it all in one hit. Also if the car is not on SORN it's easier too

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:51 am

Completely agree - if the car is not SORN it really helps. Also, if you can get it converted and still have the original MOT valid (do teh work within a year) it will help in getting the tax changed easier

Charles C

Postby Charles C » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Unfortunately, MOT has expired and it has been declared SORN !!
Cheers,

Charlie C

qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:58 pm

It may be easier in the long run to MOT and get it on the road now before you tear it appart and make all the changes. Or have you done the changes already?

Charles C

Postby Charles C » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:38 pm

Completely gutted Im afraid and ready to insert gearbox+motor.
Cheers,

Charlie C

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:10 pm

I dunno Charles, I wouldnt panic too much, my fiesta was a write off when I converted it :shock:

It was a few years ago now (about 4 or so I think ) and I didnt have any issues, sent the Reg Doc to the DVLA saying its fuel was now electric, it was returned about 3 weeks later changed, took it for an MOT, then went to the post office with the MOT and insurance, filled in what ever form and picked up my FREE tax disk 8)

Never had any problems 8)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:11 pm

There ya go the key is to inform the DVLA of the changes as you go along really not just turn up at the offices asking for a disk with as far as they are concerned a totally different vehicle to the paperwork they are presented with.

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:45 pm

So unfair! I sent my updated V5 off to the DVLA with a covering letter and they bounced it back telling me to go to my local office!

All I did was change the fuel type, capacity and engine number, but the wouldn't let it through.

Guess it all comes to who deals with your request...

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:00 pm

The problems could be with the SVA inspection. Also see here.

A lot of people doing up Land Rovers are falling foul of it due to a change in engine and gearbox, uprating brakes and suspension or changing the body type like putting a LR90 body onto a Disco chassis. They end up with vehicles that can never be legal on the road because it doesn't fit into a catagory. The DVLA, MOT and the SVA requirements don't match and vehicles are falling through the gaps in their requirements for minor things and ending up as superbly built scrap.

It is a fairly recent thing that has caught out a lot of vehicle builders and modifiers.
It can be something unreasonable like ensuring your car has an airbag and ABS specifically designed for it just because of a chassis modification. Impossible to comply with if the original vehicle was too old to have it originally or the equipment fitted cannot be proved to still be correct for a modified chassis.

Also different inspectors are applying different standards so a chassis that has had its rear over hang removed might get through and be legal with one inspector but could be non catagory acceptable with another. It is how each would define a significant change to the base vehicle.

I don't know how much it affects just changing to electric drive but it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't.
The best bet would be to contact your local SVA inspector and tell them what your plans are and what they require for acceptance before doing too much work.

Return to “Conversions”